-I actually forgot to write a summary of Big Thunder Mountain, and instead had moved onto writing about the rest of our journey. Why did I skip it? Well, it has been nearly a year since we went on our trip, and the memories are becoming a little hazy. I only have the photos to go by in order to figure out what we did and in what order we did them in. I've also been looking at the photo timestamps so as to figure out how much time passed between each ride. However, due to there being no line for Big Thunder, and it being a roller coaster, we were literally on and off the ride - so there weren't really any chances to take a picture.

There's also some good news folks! We will be making our second trip to Walt Disney World on October 30th, and will be spending a few extra days there this time around. The impending trip has pulled me out of a "posting slumber", and I'm back for the time being. Now...onto Big Thunder Mountain!-


As I mentioned before, Splash Mountain is directly next to Big Thunder, and there were literally no lines that day. Again, while we went on it the night before, it was dark and difficult to see (not to mention that we were still on a rush from being in the park). Now that we had experienced the ride once, we tried to soak in some more of the details during this second trip through.

One interesting thing is the boarding station. It reminds me of the Splash Mountain queue at Disneyland, as you head through a mining building. It differs from our Big Thunder Mountain queue, where you instead traverse through a mining town.

This version of the ride is MUCH more expansive and wide, seeming to cover a larger portion of land. From the boarding station you look out onto a mesa covered in crags and steaming geysers - an eyesore to behold, but one of nature's many wonders (though built by Imagineers). Definitely different from what I'm used to. As you continue through the station, you eventually enter the loading/unloading area, which resembles the inside of a mine shaft. Descending into darkness, you climb a lift hill and your train leads you on a runaway adventure through and around the mountain.

The ride seems faster and the turns seemed a lot sharper than the turns of Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain. I say "seemed" because I'm only basing that on perception. It could also have been that I'm so used to knowing the Disneyland track layout by heart that I was just so caught off guard. It's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RIDE. I would also say that the California version tends to make more right turns, and this ride more left turns.

As I had mentioned during my report of the Main Street Railroad, there is a segment of this ride that really stood out. During the area behind the mountain, there is a broken down carriage and a man working to free his wagon from the water. There are also a dozen other animals in this section of the ride, making it a nice place for eyecandy. As you look around trying to take in the scene, your train swerves through a disjointed section of track, bouncing you side to side in your seat. It was the highlight of the ride, and made us want to ride it again later on before we left.

Before we knew it the ride was over - but our heads were still spinning. We both agreed to take a few minutes to relax, I mean...we were running on little sleep as it was.


0 comments:

Post a Comment