Friday, October 15, 2010

Trip - (Part 16) Colony



As I said in my previous post, Liberty Square is Walt Disney World's version of New Orleans Square. Almost immediately upon entering this quaint land was a strong feeling of patriotism, and I really felt as though I had been whisked away to a colonial town with a vast history. What helped to further this feeling were the replicas of the Liberty Bell and Liberty Tree - ideas borrowed from the abandoned Liberty Street project originally intended for Disneyland. Also of note was the representation of several important flags from American history surrounding the Liberty Bell.



Directly behind the Liberty Bell is the Hall of Presidents. The building entrance is yet another example of how the Imagineers are able to fool visitors by making the facade appear as nothing more than a small city hall. However, once you step inside, you realize that it's much larger than you might have initially expected.



I've been looking forward to seeing the Hall of Presidents since I was a kid. I'm not typically patriotic, but I love AA figures and was always impressed by what I imagined the scale of the show to be. Having so many animatronic figures on stage at once seemed like a spectacle to me, and I was excited to finally get the chance to see it.

The two of us entered the main waiting lobby for the Hall of Presidents, and just as soon as found ourselves walking in, we were walking right back out. The show had been halted due to technical difficulties and we were all told to come back later to catch a later show. Ana and I decided that we would have to venture back over to Liberty Square a little later in the day to make a second attempt at watching the show.

There was also a set of stocks set up as a photo op. Another guest offered to take this picture of us, and he remarked "you're not supposed to smile in the stocks!" I said, "well, we're on vacation and the sun is in my eyes." HAH!



I also want to point out that near the far side corner of Liberty Square lies The Haunted Mansion. It sits on a hill and has an other worldly quality about it. Rather than seeming to fit in as the New Orleans Square Haunted Mansion does, this version of the ride seems eerily out of place within Liberty Square. To help it maintain a bit of consistency with the land however, the architecture diverts from the Louisiana mansion style. From Wikipedia: "This Mansion was given a Dutch Gothic Revival style based on older northeastern mansions, particularly those in older areas of Pennsylvania and in the Hudson River Valley region of New York. The mansion is surrounded by large oak trees donned with spanish moss, red maples, and pines, all of which are native to Florida."



The next closest land was Fantasyland - so we figured we would head over there and hit some of the rides we didn't go on the previous night before we would head back to Liberty Square.


0 comments:

Post a Comment